Just because we get older, does not mean we don’t still need closeness and companionship. Thanks to technological advancements, dating over 50 websites and clubs are becoming more and more popular.
Whether you’re separated, bereaved, or have been single for some time, it’s never too late to start a new relationship. With love in the air, as valentines day is just around the corner it’s good to know what options are out there for you should you wish to partake.
Dating over 50 can be daunting if you haven’t done it for a long time but it can also be fun and exciting. There is no need to dive straight into looking for a new partner you can now surf the web to find someone who enjoys the same things as you and is looking to share their time too.
Thanks to the help of Age UK, we can share a number of exciting ways to meet new people both on and offline.
Clubs/Pubs & Book Groups:
Once you feel ready and want to find someone to share your life with, there are a number of ways you can join in. You could join:
- Walking group
- Local choir
- A book group
- Wine club
- Volunteer with local charities
The possibilities are endless and there are many ways you can find this information. You could
- Read the notice boards in your local library, doctors’ surgery, church, town hall, etc.
- Check the listing in your local paper
- Check for volunteering opportunities at the local volunteer center.
Then of course there are the old reliable ways:
- Meeting people through friends
- Asking your friends if they would know anyone they could introduce you to
Meeting People Online:
Thanks to COVID-19, meeting new people outside of the house isn’t an option anymore but it’s good to know for when we get back some sort of normal. Trying to stick to the positive, you can still meet new people while at home in the comfort of your slippers. Through the wonders of online dating!
Online dating is now one of the most common ways to meet people and there are some specific dating sites aimed at the over 50’s.
Find a dating website that best suits you. Plenty of sites cater to specific interests or backgrounds so there will be something for everyone.
- Lumen – an app-only (you use it on your phone) dating platform dedicated to the over-50’s. Their focus is on quality conversations.
- OurTime – A dating site dedicated to the over 50’s. Here you can find pen pals, travel buddies, and more. OurTime has a more laid back approach and is extremely user friendly.
- Silver Singles – An online dating website with near 20 years of experience in the matchmaking game. It’s not as big as some of the other dating sites out there but it could be a nice place to dip your toe.
Register on the website/app that best suits you. Remember that most dating websites have free membership as well as monthly or yearly subscription options. Weigh the pros and cons before deciding for you. Of course, there is nothing saying that you can’t register with more than one dating website.
For the majority of dating websites, you will need to create a personal profile so that the other members can get to know you before possibly starting a conversation. On your profile, you would add a little about yourself (hobbies, likes, and dislikes, etc) and a photo of you as your profile picture.
The more information you include the easier it for people to see who you are and what you like. This will also help the dating site show you the most relevant people, those that share the same interests, etc.
Start reaching out. Once you’ve set up your profile you will be able to view other people’s profiles as well as send and receive messages. This can be really exciting especially when you find the right person who shares the same interests.
Like everything else, there can always be the small few that like to ruin things for everyone else so there are a few things to be aware of and remember.
- After the COVID-19 Restrictions have lifted & you decide to meet up with your new friend, meet them in a public place such as a cafe.
- Always tell somebody where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Don’t accept a lift from the person or go home with them if you are unsure about them.
There are scammers everywhere, when talking online with people be careful with sharing personal information. Never give:
- Your full name
- Home address
- Your birth date
- Bank or money information
Whether you are looking for love, want someone to have fun with while learning to tango, or are simply looking for a companion to share a cuppa with. Do so safely and in your own time.
We love being able to share a cuppa with the ones we love, using our Uccello Kettle, get yours here now.